Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a qualifying purchase, I will receive a small commission from those purchases.
A Disney cruise is a vacation for the whole family that is unlike any other. In addition to the family fun you will find onboard the ship, these itineraries include visits to beautiful destinations like the Virgin Islands, Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and of course, Disney’s private island paradise in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay! With Disney Cruise Line vacations sailing out of Florida year round, you can (almost) always enjoy a warm and tropical cruise vacation.
Even if you are a veteran cruiser, packing can still be tricky or intimidating…so we’ve compiled an all-inclusive list! It’s perfect for warm weather itineraries to the Caribbean or Bahamas, filled with all of your must-haves plus a few items for fun! Here are some of the essentials for your Disney cruise packing list:
Daytime Fun on the Ship
With everything from fun family pools to exclusive spaces for kids and adults alike, Disney cruises are jam-packed with activities for the whole family! Here are the important items you should consider bringing:
- Swimsuits and cover ups – Pack at least two options to ensure you can spend as much time at the pool, in the hot tub or riding the AquaDuck as possible!
- Shorts, shirts, tank tops and sundresses – You’ll be spending lots of time outside enjoying the sunshine, so pack accordingly for the warmer temps.
- Athletic wear and gym shoes – There’s lots of ways to break a sweat on a Disney cruise! Bring clothes to play basketball on Goofy’s Sports Deck or to squeeze in a quick workout at the fitness center. The ocean view from the treadmill can’t be beat!
Evening Entertainment, Dining and Deck Parties
On your Disney cruise, the fun lasts all day! From family and adult-exclusive dining options to Broadway-style entertainment and high-energy deck parties, make sure you come prepared for a different experience each night:
- “Cruise casual” dinner attire – Plan to dress “cruise casual” in our main family dining rooms, which means no tank tops or swimwear.
- Dressy dining outfits – Bring dressier outfits for semi-formal and formal nights so you can take advantage of the onboard photography services. Those of you who plan to eat at Palo or Remy, be sure to dress to impress while you enjoy your adult-exclusive dinner! Men should pack dress pants and a collared shirt, while women should bring a dress, skirt or pants and a blouse. For more information, click here for dress codes at Palo and Remy.
- Pirate attire – There’s no better place to become a pirate than IN the Caribbean! You’ can transform into pillaging pirates and become a part of the crew during “Pirate Night.” Your “pirate style” can include anything from pirate tee shirts and bandanas to eye patches, pirate hooks and even stuffed parrots!
- Light sweater – Temperatures can be cooler in the dining room and theater or out on deck with the evening ocean breeze, so don’t forget to pack a light sweater or jacket, just in case.
From exploring Mayan ruins in Mexico and ziplining through the trees in Jamaica during a Port Adventure, to lounging on the warm sand of a sun-drenched beach, there’s an exciting adventure ashore to fit everyone in your party!
When you visit Disney’s award-winning private island, Castaway Cay, everything you need for a perfect day is included, like an all-you-care-to-eat buffet lunch, beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, hammocks and more … but you can still pack a few extra items to make the most of your day!
No matter what shore excursions you experience, here are a few helpful packing tips to prepare:
- Backpack or collapsible tote bag – This will come in handy for carrying your personal items, as well as toting souvenirs you may buy in port. Considering throwing in some plastic zip-top bags as well in case your belongings get wet during your time ashore.
- Lightweight pants, capris or leggings – Shorts and a t-shirt are great for many shore excursions like historical village tours or sightseeing at the ruins…but more active experiences like hiking, climbing or ziplining will be more comfortable with pants.
- GoPro or underwater camera – There’s a lot to see and photograph under the water (including some hidden Mickeys at Castaway Cay) so make sure you have a way to capture it all!
- Appropriate shoes – Prepare to be on your feet! Bring comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing, sneakers for hiking or biking activities and flip flops or water shoes for a day at the beach.
Just for Fun!
There are lots of small ways to enhance your Disney cruise experience! Consider packing these fun items as you prepare to come aboard:
- Door magnets for your stateroom – Unique decorations will always bring a smile to your face as you return to your room, and it helps families distinguish their door as they head down long hallways. You can bring your own fun magnets, or buy them onboard.
- Pajamas – Make sure your kids have at least one pair they are comfortable walking around the ship in. They won’t want to miss pajama parties at the kids clubs or on the last night of your sailing!
- Autograph book – Never miss an opportunity to grab a special moment with your favorite Disney characters…and commemorate it with autographs! Disney Cruise Line autograph books are also sold onboard the ship.
What’s on your Disney cruise packing list?