Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a qualifying purchase, I will receive a small commission from those purchases.
Have you ever dined at California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort? One of their decadent sweet endings is the chocolate pudding cake. You can make chocolate pudding cake from California Grill at home with just four ingredients (plus water). California Grill serves a fancy version that’s adorned with Nutella, silky ganache, mint whipped cream, and mini house-made marshmallows and chocolate meringue kisses. Although you can add the “extras,” it’s also delicious with nothing more than a generous scoop of good vanilla ice cream! Here is the recipe for chocolate pudding cake from California Grill:
Chocolate Pudding Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray with flour; set aside.
- Combine water and 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar melts. Bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; slowly add chocolate, stirring until completely melted. Stir in butter, a few pieces at a time, until completely melted.
- Combine eggs and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer until pale yellow and very frothy.
- Slowly stream chocolate-butter mixture into egg mixture, stirring until smooth and satiny.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cake pan inside of a larger roasting pan; pour hot water around cake pan until water reaches halfway up sides of cake pan. Carefully transfer pans to oven.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes until just firm.
- Remove cake pan from roasting pan and let cool 30 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto a large plate before serving, or serve directly from pan.
Cook’s note: The chocolate pudding cake can be served with mint flavored marshmallows, chocolate meringue kisses, a spread of Nutella, or mint whipped cream.
Thanks to the Disney Parks Blog for sharing the recipe for this delicious chocolate pudding cake from California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort!
Siera is a Disney travel specialist who would love to help you plan your next vacation at no cost to you. Request your free, no obligation quote on the right side of the page or email email@example.com for more information.