Did you know that October is National Cookie Month? If you’re looking to do something special with your family this Halloween or are looking for the perfect snack for your child’s Halloween party, try making Jack Skellington cookies! This Nightmare Before Halloween inspired cookie recipe actually comes from Tony’s Town Square Restaurant inside Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort.
Jack Skellington Sugar Cookies (Makes 18 cookies)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Black food coloring paste
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture in three parts. Once dough comes together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a round cookie cutter or an overturned cup, cut dough into circles about 3 1/4 inches in diameter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before icing.
- Place egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer; whisk until frothy. Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, until thick but still spreadable.
- Place 1/3 of icing in a separate bowl. Add black food coloring paste to reserved icing and stir until color is uniform.
- Decorate cooled cookies by covering with white icing and letting it dry (placing cookies in the refrigerator will speed up this process).
- Place black icing in a pastry bag or a plastic resealable bag and cut off a tiny bit of the corner to create a very small hole. Use black icing to draw eyes, nostrils and stitched mouth on each cookie.
Will you be making Jack Skellington cookies this Halloween?
Thanks to the Disney Parks Blog for sharing the recipe for Jack Skellington cookies with us!
Siera is a Disney travel specialist. She would love to help you plan your next vacation at no cost to you. Request your free, no obligation quote on the right side of the page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.