(Photo: Universal Orlando Resort Blog)
Caribbean Rum Cake Recipe from Loews Sapphire Falls Resort
Are you looking to spice up your Universal Orlando Resort vacation? At Caribbean Carnaval, you can take a journey through the Caribbean with an interactive dinner show filled with singing, dancing and music.
One of the things guests love about Caribbean Carnaval is the delectable flavors from the Caribbean islands in all the dishes. Chefs prepare an amazing all-you-can-eat feast with authentic recipes that transport your taste buds to paradise as singers and dancers put on an exciting live show.
One of the guests’ favorite items on the menu is the Caribbean Rum Cake. This dense vanilla cake is baked with Kahlua, spiced rum, pecans and brown sugar. The sugar crystalizes, creating a fantastic crunch that keeps you wanting more.
After the rum cake comes out of the oven, it’s topped with more rum, Kahlua and sweet delicate syrup. It then soaks for about three days and the result is absolutely delicious.
Reserve your spot at the next Caribbean Carnaval. Then, enjoy a piece of the islands at home with our Caribbean Rum Cake recipe.
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1-2 Cups Pecan Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Myers’s Dark Rum
- 1/4 Cup Kahlua Liquor
- 3 1/2 Ounce Package Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 Water
- 1/2 Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Myers’s Dark Rum
- 1/2 Kahlua Liquor
- Pre-heat over to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl or an electric mixer, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, softened butter, and oil together until crumbly like a streusel topping. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare a 10- inch cake pan by lining it with a parchment paper circle. Sift ¾ cup of light brown sugar on the paper evenly around the cake pan. Top this off with 1-2 cups of pecan pieces (just enough to cover the bottom completely).
- Continuing on with the cake: On low speed with the paddle attachment, combine the remaining ingredients until the batter is very smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for approximately 45-55 minutes, or until fully golden and tester comes out clean and cake springs back when touched in the center.
- Carefully bring the sugar and water to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the rum, and Kahlua.
- Once the cake is taken out of the oven, carefully cut the top of the cake with a serrated knife so that it is level with the rim of the cake pan.
- While cake is still warm, pour the hot syrup on top of the cake, allowing it time to soak in (this may take a few minutes as there will be a lot of syrup). Continue to add syrup until it is gone.
- Allow cake to cool completely in the pan before turning out onto your serving platter.
After indulging in the delights of Caribbean Carnaval, burn those extra calories while you dance the night away to the rhythmic sounds of the islands! Caribbean Carnaval takes place every Wednesday evening at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort.
Siera is a travel agent with Destinations in Florida, Universal Studios Travel Agency of the Year 2010, 2011, & 2012. She would love to help you plan your next Universal Orlando vacation at no cost to you. Contact Siera today at email@example.com or at 734-771-1290 for more information or your free, no obligation quote.